This 4 week course on resistance and motivation uses a combination of live group didactic sessions together with practice and role play, with emphasis on skill building of therapy tools and techniques. Cost: $240- 7 CE*s
Completion of this course counts toward TEAM Therapy Certification (Level 1, Item 1.a or 1.b.; Level 2, Items 1.a. or 1.c. Level 3, Item 1.a.).
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the five steps of agenda setting
- Issue an invitation to your patients
- Utilize the specificity step to stay on track with elusive patients
- Describe the difference between outcome resistance and process resistance
- Identify outcome resistance in your patients
- Identify process resistance in your patients
- Describe the concept of sitting with open hands
Four Week Curriculum:
Week 1. The Five Steps of Agenda Setting. Review of common obstacles to effective therapy. How to transition from “talk” to “work”. The Invitation Step. Practice.
Week 2. The Specificity Step. How to “reign in” elusive patients to specific solvable problems. Difficulties with Specificity. Conceptualization categories. Practice.
Week 3. Outcome Resistance. How to align with resistance and make your patients argue for change rather than against it. Common Themes in Outcome Resistance across different conceptualizations. The magic button. The positive reframe step for anxiety and depression. Practice.
Week 4. Process Resistance. How to hold your patients accountable to the work necessary for their change. Common forms of process resistance across different conceptualizations. The Gentle Ultimatum Step. Practice.
Please note: Attendance is required at all four meetings in order to obtain CE credit. Partial credit cannot be granted.